Love a chip-shop curry sauce? This recipe mixes a basic curry sauce with sausages and potatoes for a curry-style dinner.
- 12 pork sausages (about 600g/1lb 5oz)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2–3 tbsp mild or medium curry powder, according to taste
- 400g tin coconut milk
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 540g tin potatoes, drained and any large potatoes cut in half
- 450g/1lb long grain rice, cooked according to packet instructions, to serve
Squeeze the sausagemeat out of the skins and shape into rough balls. Each sausage should give around 5 small balls. Discard the skins.
Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large, deep non-stick frying pan, sauté pan or large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the sausagemeat balls and fry for 4–5 minutes, turning regularly until beginning to brown in places. Add the onions and remaining oil and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned. Stir in the curry powder and cook for about a minute before adding the coconut milk, tomatoes and potatoes. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover loosely with a lid and cook for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly and the spices mellowed, stirring regularly.
While the curry is simmering, cook the rice according to the pack instructions and serve alongside. This is also great served with naan bread or chapatis.