- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (chuck or sirloin, 85 percent to 90 percent lean)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon store-bought or homemade Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 16 (1/4-ounce) cubes
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, Parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and freshly ground black pepper until thoroughly mixed.
Portion the meat into 16 pieces, roughly 1.75 ounces each.
Wrap each portion of meat around a piece of mozzarella cheese, sealing it around the cheese while shaping into a ball. A little of the cheese might ooze out as they bake and that’s normal, but try to seal them in the meat mixture as well as you can.
Arrange the meatballs on the prepared baking pan.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the ground beef is thoroughly cooked.
Serve the meatballs with hot marinara sauce or homemade spaghetti sauce.