For the egg muffins
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp cream, or full-fat milk
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil, for greasing
For the mushroom and spinach filling
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 large chestnut mushrooms, peeled and sliced
- 2 lumps frozen spinach, defrosted, excess liquid removed and roughly chopped
For the kimchi and bacon filling
- 4 rashers unsmoked streaky bacon
- 60g/2¼oz kimchi, roughly chopped
- ½ tbsp finely chopped chives
For the smoked salmon and dill filling
- 40g/1½oz smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp roughly chopped dill
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Brush 8 holes of a non-stick muffin tin with olive oil.
Whisk together the eggs, cream and a generous amount of salt and pepper until combined.
For the mushroom and spinach egg muffins, heat an additional teaspoon of oil in a small frying pan, set over a medium-high heat. Fry the mushrooms with a little seasoning until soft and lightly golden – this should take 3–4 minutes. Add the spinach to the pan and cook for another minute until heated through.
For the kimchi and bacon muffins, set the bacon rashers in a large, cold, non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the bacon until crisp on both sides, then drain on a piece of kitchen towel. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, cut it into small pieces.
Stir the filling ingredients for your muffin of choice into the egg mixture and divide evenly between the prepared muffin tin holes. Bake the egg muffins for 15 minutes until set, slightly golden and puffy. Serve warm or at room temperature.