Classic Italian Sub Sandwich Recipe
- 1 large Italian sub roll
- 1 tablespoon Italian vinaigrette
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/3 pound sliced rosemary ham
- 1/4 pound sliced mortadella
- 1/4 pound sliced hot soppressata
- 3 tomato campari tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1/4 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 packed cup baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped banana peppers
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Use a serrated knife to cut the Italian sub roll in half lengthwise.
Place the sub roll in the middle of a sheet of wax or butcher paper and drizzle the inside of the bread with Italian vinaigrette and balsamic vinegar.
Next, add the provolone, ham, mortadella, soppressata, tomatoes, onion, lettuce, banana peppers, salt, and pepper.
Wrap the sandwich tightly in the butcher paper and slice the sandwich into 4 quarters.
Enjoy now or wrap up tightly in more butcher’s paper until ready to eat.
- Depending on how hungry you are, this thick flavorful sandwich can feed up to 2 or 4 people.
- As this sandwich sits, the flavors begin to meld and make it more flavorful over time. If you’re waiting to eat it, be sure to wrap it tightly in butcher or wax paper so the ingredients stay intact and the sandwich doesn’t get soggy.
- Don’t have these exact ingredients on hand? No worries. Any variation of Italian ingredients will do. Experiment with a mix of different lunch meats to see what you like best. Try to use different veggies and cheeses such as a nice pickle-y giardiniera with fresh mozzarella or roasted red peppers with asiago cheese.
Leave a Reply