This vegan French toast uses ‘aquafaba’ (the liquid drained from a can of chickpeas) mixed with maple syrup and vanilla to perk up white bread. Delicious with berries and a dusting of icing sugar.
- 400g/14oz can organic chickpeas
- 1 tsp maple syrup, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 thick slices white bread, each around 2cm/¾ in
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200g/7oz fresh mixed berries, such as raspberries, blueberries and strawberries,
- 2 tsp icing sugar
Slow cooker chicken and vegetable tagine
This healthy slow cooker tagine is the friend you want to see at the end of the day. You can even prepare it the night before and pop it in the fridge (in the slow cooker bowl) ready to cook in the morning. Serve with brown rice or whole wheat couscous.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, cut into chunks
- 2 peppers (any colour), seeds removed, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ lemon, juice only
Barbecue chicken and rice wraps
For the barbecue spice mix
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (or paprika, if you like less heat)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the filling
- 200g/7oz skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 150g/50oz broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 225g/8oz cooked basmati rice
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp paprika
- squeeze lime juice (optional)
- 2 tsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tortilla wraps
Mix together the barbecue spice mix ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
Add half of the spice mix to the chicken and mix well.
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat, add the chicken and brown all over. Check the chicken is cooked by removing a piece from the pan and cutting it open. If there is no trace of pink, the chicken is cooked. Transfer the chicken onto a plate and set aside..
In the same pan, add the broccoli and peppers and fry for 4 minutes. Add the spring onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the rice, tomato purée, paprika, remaining barbecue seasoning mixture and a splash of water to the pan. Add the chicken back into the pan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add a splash of lime juice at the end if you want some extra zing. Sprinkle over the coriander.
Microwave the wraps for 10 seconds to soften, then stuff with the rice and chicken and enjoy!
Texas Style Beans Recipe With Pinto Beans
Texas-style beans are like nothing else. If you’re used to baked beans, these are not what you’re in for. Texas-style beans incorporate the savory of salt pork, the sweet of sugar, a bit of spice and the heartiness of well-cooked pinto beans to make what can only be called the best way to have beans period. Served as a main dish alongside cornbread, this recipe is a great idea for large parties.