- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs or dried oregano, plus extra to garnish
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 300g/10½oz risotto rice
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube
- 900ml/1½ pint freshly boiled water
- 40g/1½oz cheddar, finely grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions over a medium heat for 6–8 minutes or until soft, stirring regularly. Add the garlic and mixed herbs. Continue to fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly, then add the chopped tomatoes. Season well with a little salt and lots of black pepper and simmer for 4–5 minutes to reduce the liquid, stirring often.
Add the risotto rice and stir for a minute to coat in the tomato sauce. Next add the stock cube with around 100ml/3½fl oz of the hot water. Stir continuously and, once the water has been absorbed, add some more water.
Keep repeating until the rice is cooked and looks rich and creamy (this should take about 20 minutes). Add a little more water if needed until the right consistency is reached. Remove from the heat and stir in almost all of the grated cheddar. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve with a glug of olive oil, a pinch of oregano and the remaining cheese to garnish.