- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 400g/14oz potatoes, peeled and cut into 3–4cm/1¼–1½in chunks
- 100g/3½oz swede, peeled and cut into 2–3cm/¾–1¼in chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2–3cm/¾–1¼in chunks
- 700ml/1¼ pint beef stock
- 500g/1lb 2oz leftover roast beef or cooked sausages, cut into 4cm/1½in chunks
- 50g/1¾oz lard
- 2–3 tbsp leftover gravy or beef dripping (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley, to garnish (optional)
Heat the oil in a large cast-iron pot or casserole over a low–medium heat. Fry the onion until soft and translucent. Add all of the vegetables, 100ml/3½fl oz water and the beef stock. Increase to a medium–high heat and cook for 10–20 minutes.
Reduce to a low–medium heat and add the beef, lard and gravy (if using). Simmer for another 10–15 minutes until everything is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and serve piping hot with some parsley scattered over, if you like.