Steam-roasted salmon and broccoli with barbecued new potatoes
This makes a tasty spring or summer fish supper for a warm night where you can get the barbecue out. If it’s not barbecue weather, the potatoes can be done on a griddle pan.
For the steam-roasted salmon and broccoli
- 400g/14oz broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
- 4 salmon fillets, approximately 800g/1lb 12oz total weight
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2.5cm/1in fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, plus extra if preferred
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 limes, zest and juice, plus extra juice if preferred
- 30g/1oz fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 55g/2oz salted or unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
For the barbecued new potatoes
- 600g/1lb 5oz new potatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes, plus extra for boiling
For the dressing
- 10g/⅓oz fresh tarragon, leaves finely chopped
- 30g/1oz unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch chipotle chilli flakes
To make the steam-roasted salmon and broccoli, preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Place the broccoli florets in a large roasting tin, scatter over the grated garlic, sprinkle over the sesame oil or vegetable oil and toss well to mix. Place the salmon fillets in the roasting tin too, cover the tin tightly with kitchen foil and roast for 20–30 minutes, until the salmon is cooked through to your liking.
Meanwhile, mix together the spring onions, ginger, chilli, fish sauce, vegetable oil, lime zest and juice, coriander and peanuts in a bowl. Taste and adjust the levels of fish sauce and lime juice as preferred.
Remove the salmon and broccoli from the oven and generously cover the salmon with the dressing. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the broccoli.
Meanwhile, to make the barbecued new potatoes, boil the potatoes in salted water for 7–8 minutes, until just cooked through. Drain well, then mix with the olive oil and sea salt flakes. Preheat a barbecue or griddle pan to hot.
To make the dressing, mix together the tarragon, peanuts, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, chipotle flakes and sea salt flakes in a bowl. Taste and adjust the salt as preferred then set aside. Once your barbecue or griddle pan is hot, griddle the potatoes for 5–8 minutes on each side until nicely charred. Halve the barbecued new potatoes, mix with tarragon dressing and serve immediately with the salmon and broccoli.
Leave a Reply