- 1 venison roast, about 3 pounds
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or shortening
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Gather the ingredients.
Sprinkle venison roast with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
Heat oil in a heavy skillet or sauté pan and add venison roast. Sear meat, rotating roast to brown all sides.
Add chopped onion to skillet. Turn off heat and add beef broth.
Transfer everything to a slow cooker, including browned bits in the bottom of the skillet.
Add canned tomatoes to crock pot, along with oregano and garlic powder. Seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 9 to 12 hours, until pot roast is tender.
Cut venison into pieces and serve with sauce.
Leave a Comment