- 1 pound okra
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tomato, or about 1 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 dash cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Gather the ingredients.
Wash the okra pods and dry them thoroughly. Cut off and discard the tips and stem ends from the okra pods. Cut the okra into 1/2-inch rounds.
Heat the oil in a large heavy nonstick or well-seasoned iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the sliced okra and stir-fry for 10 minutes, stirring and turning frequently to keep it from sticking.
Meanwhile, core the tomato; remove the seeds and dice it. Peel the onion and cut it into quarters; slice thinly. Set aside.
When the okra is beginning to brown, add the diced tomato, sliced onion, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and curry powder, to taste.
Continue cooking for about 3 minutes longer, or until the onions are tender.
Taste and add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.