Yachaejeon are delicious vegan crispy vegetable pancakes, made here with a quick tamari dipping sauce. They’re quick, easy and can be adapted with whatever veg you have to hand.
- 125g/4½oz gluten-free plain flour
- 200g/7oz frozen spinach leaves, defrosted
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 6 spring onions, halved and bashed
- 1 bunch chives, roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
For the dipping sauce
- 1½ tbsp tamari or reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- pinch chilli flakes
Tip the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl, then whisk in 125ml/4fl oz water to create a smooth batter. Put the spinach in a clean tea towel or a few sheets of kitchen paper and squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then add to the batter. Tip in the remaining vegetables, chives and chilli and toss everything together.
Heat ½ tablespoon oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add a quarter of the vegetable mixture and spread out in an even layer. Cook gently for 3–4 minutes until the underside is crisp and golden. Carefully flip the pancake over and cook for a further 3 minutes. Keep the pancake warm whilst you repeat with the remaining oil and the vegetable mixture.
Combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and serve with the pancakes.
Make sure you use tamari for the dipping sauce if you want this recipe to be gluten-free.