- You can clear the cache, history, and cookies on your iPhone to improve its speed and performance.
- Clearing your iPhone’s app cache can also free up extra storage space.
- When you clear your iPhone’s cache, you might get logged out of some websites and apps.
Your iPhone holds two major data caches: One for Safari, and another for all the rest of your apps. Clearing these cachescan free up space on your iPhone, improving speed and performance by removing unnecessary app data.
Here’s how to clear both caches on your iPhone.
Important: Before you clear the cache on an iPhone for Safari or any app, make sure you know your passwords, as deleting your cache will log you out of websites you frequent.
How to clear the cache, history, and cookies in Safari
When you clear your iPhone’s Safari cache, it means all the files, images, passwords, and scripts from websites you’ve visited recently will be wiped.
To clear Safari’s cache:
1. Open the Settings app and tap Safari.
2. Scroll down and tap Clear History and Website Data.
Tap “Clear History and Website Data” to clear your Safari cache, history, and cookies.
3. Your device will ask if you really want to clear Safari’s data. Confirm your choice.
Alternatively, you can clearjust your cache but keep your history and cookies by opening this menu, tapping Advanced at the bottom, then Website Data, and finally Remove All Website Data.
How to clear your iPhone’s app cache
To clear the cache for your iPhone apps, you’ll need to offload them. Offloading an app will free up storage space the app uses while still keeping its documents and data. When you reinstall the app, your data will be recovered.
1. Open the Settings app and tap General, then select iPhone Storage.
You can find your apps on the “iPhone Storage” page.
2. Wait for the page to load a list of all your apps. Once it’s generated the list, select the app you want to clear and tap Offload App.
You can also delete the app if you don’t need it anymore, which will clear up even more space.
Tap “Offload” to remove the app and make space on your iPhone.
Quick tip: When you open the list of all your apps, you might see a menu called Offload Unused Apps. Tapping Enable here will let your iPhone automatically offload apps that you haven’t used in a while.