Healthy chilli con carne
You’ll feel full of beans and be well on your way to five a day with this healthy chilli con carne.
Each serving provides 505 kcal, 40g protein, 61g carbohydrates (of which 14.5g sugars), 8g fat (of which 3g saturates), 14g fibre and 1.2g salt.
- low-calorie cooking spray
- 450g/1lb extra lean minced beef (5% fat)
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tsp finely grated garlic
- 1 courgette, cut into 1cm/½in pieces
- 1 aubergine, cut into 1cm/½in pieces
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 1cm/½in pieces
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 400g tin red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 200ml/7fl oz beef stock
- 200g/7oz brown basmati rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp fat-free natural yoghurt and chopped fresh coriander, to serve
Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray. Add the beef and stir-fry over a high heat for 5–6 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Add the onion, garlic, courgette, aubergine and red pepper and stir-fry for a further 3–4 minutes. Add the cumin, smoked paprika, cinnamon and chilli powder and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes.
Add the kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato purée and stock and season well. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 25–30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Uncover, stir and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
Ladle the chilli over the rice in warmed bowls and serve immediately, with a dollop of fat-free yogurt and some chopped coriander.
Leave a Reply