This crock pot sausage stew makes a hearty meal with biscuits or crusty bread or rolls. Use andouille sausage, smoked sausage or chicken sausage, or use cooked and sliced Italian sausage in this delicious dish. The stew is packed with flavor with sliced and diced fresh vegetables, basil, and seasonings.
- 6 to 8 medium potatoes, red or white, cut in 1/2-inch to 1-inch cubes, about 4 cups total
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 12 to 16 ounces andouille sausage, or another kind of smoked or cooked sausage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of potato soup
- 1/2 cup light cream, or heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Lightly grease or oil the crockery insert of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker.
Combine the cubed potatoes, chopped onion, red and green bell pepper, celery, carrots, and sausage in the prepared slow cooker.
In a small bowl, combine the olive oil with the dried leaf basil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add to the potato and sausage mixture and stir to coat thoroughly. Stir in the potato soup.
Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low for about 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
Combine the cornstarch and cold water, whisking until smooth. Add to the stew along with the cream. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes longer, until the stew is bubbling and thickened.
Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and other seasonings as needed.