- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g/1lb 2oz chicken thighs
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- splash red wine
- 275g/9½oz chorizo, chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz dry sherry
- 1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml/7fl oz chicken stock
- 1 x 400g/14oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- handful chopped fresh parsley
- crusty bread, to serve
Heat half of the vegetable oil in a large pan. Add the chicken thighs and fry, turning frequently, until lightly browned all over. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
Add a little more oil to the pan, then add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and chilli and cook for five minutes. Add a splash of red wine and simmer until reduced by half.
In another pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the chorizo for 2-3 minutes. Add the sherry and cook until the chorizo is crisp. Set aside.
Add the can of chopped tomatoes to the pan with the vegetables and bring to the boil. Cook for five minutes, then add the stock and bring back to the boil.
Add the browned chicken, the chickpeas and crisp chorizo and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with crusty bread.