This s a detailed guides on how to prepare Beans pulao, right from picking the right ingredients to serving the receipts.
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 x 400g tins mixed beans in water, drained and rinsed
- ½–1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 300g/10½oz long-grain rice
- 900ml/1½pints boiling water
- handful fresh soft herbs (such as coriander, parsley or mint), leaves finely chopped and a few sprigs saved for garnish
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the cumin seeds. Once they start to sizzle, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat until softened. Add the beans and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the salt and remaining spices and cook for a few seconds then add the rice and water.
Bring to a boil, cover (either with a lid or kitchen foil) and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped herbs after the rice has been cooking for 10 minutes. Add more water, if needed, until the rice is cooked. Stir the rice and serve topped with the reserved herbs.
In March 2022 this recipe was costed at an average of £3.23 when checking prices at four UK supermarkets.
Leave a Comment